The first hurdle participants face is finding local WWI Memorials. Though incomplete, the map below has the WWI memorials the WW1CC has gathered. So get your "Indiana Jones" on and help us find missing memorials with the Memorial Hunters Club, where you are encourage to search for and discover local WWI memorials missing from our register and map below. If you are the first to find a missing memorial, not currently shown on the national map, your contribution will carry your name as the discoverer. When completed, we will publish this mapped database for any organization, institution, school or group to use in any way they would like.
The 100 Cities / 100 Memorials program team
Originally Dedicated: 1923
The center grey granite column displays a bronze World War 1 plaque which reads:
THE MEN WHO ENLISTED FROM
IN THE WARS OF OUR COUNTRY
ERECTED BY THE TOWN
1917 WORLD WAR 1918
Followed by the names of the 31 sons of Bath, NH who served in the “World War” including 2
who died in service, noted with a star preceding their name.
Plaques on either side of World War 1 list those who served and those who Made The
Supreme Sacrifice in World War 2 (91), Korea (29) & Vietnam (23). On the back of the
monument are plaques dedicated to those who served and sacrificed their lives in the
Revolutionary War (56), Civil War (124), The War of 1812 (35) and the Mexican War (5).
Set on the Nevada State Capitol grounds and dedicated on November 9, 2018, The Battle Born Memorial is a sanctuary where the stories of Nevada's heroes’ can be shared and remembered. Etched for eternity, the monument bears the name of every fallen warrior from the Silver State as an everlasting memorial to their service and ultimate sacrifice.
Courthouse for Baxter County, Arkansas.
The Doughboy Statue was erected in 1924 after the Bay City Women's Improvement Committee approached the Bay City Commission about erecting a statue in 1923, Brady said. It cost $2,100.
The bronze statue has been under the care and auspices of the Bay County Library System. While there doesn't appear to be any documentation of maintenance of the statue, it's in remarkably good shape.
This park contains many different memorials commemorating service in World War 1, including one for submariners and one for Medal of Honor recipients from all wars. The park is also home to many more monuments and memorials unrelated to World War 1, including Oregon's first Vietnam War Memorial.
Erected in 1925, the World War I monument "The Survivor" features a lone surviving soldier standing on the battlefield with a dead comrade on one side and a fatally wounded soldier on the other. It is the survivor who must continue to strive to achieve the final victory so that his compatriots will not have died in vain. The cement statue was designed and hand carved by German-American sculptor and artist, Helmuth Von Zengen. It was reported that an estimated 3,000 people attended its unveiling in 1925. The statue originally stood in front of Brown Machine and was later moved to Ross Lake Park in 1986.
The castle-like Armory, designed by architect John Bentz Hamme; Builder: Lawrence Whalen & Co, was built in 1915, of Port Deposit granite, with two hexagonal crenellated towers and its machicolated cornice. Bel Air's local National Guard units marched from its doors to the Mexican border, and to service in Europe in World Wars I and II. This building has seen its share of patriotic festivals, community send-offs and a 1918 victory jubilee. The Armory even became Bel Air's Civilian Defense Headquarters during World War II.
An aluminum flagpole is supported by a square granite base bearing bronze plaques naming those from Belchertown who participated in WWI, WWII, and the Korean War, and those who died in them. It was designed by Alderman & McNeish and was dedicated on September 23, 1961.
THE TREES IN THIS CIRCLE ARE DEDICATED / TO THOSE WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE / IN WORLD WAR II / 1941-1945 / ARTHUR A. AMRON --- GEORGE P. HUMMEL --- JULES D. SCHLICHTER / FRANCIS T. ACTON --- AUSTIN W. KELLY JR. --- DONALD R. SCHNEIDER / LEONARD A. BENJAMIN --- JAMES P. KENNY --- LOUIS SEIDMAN / HAROLD J. BLANTHORN --- JOHN M. LEWIS JR. --- MURRAY SEIFF / CORNELIUS M. CALPIN --- LEONARD KRAM --- DONALD W. SELZ / JOHN E. CORRIGAN --- THOMAS MCARDLE --- HERBERT SPRINGER / RICHARD H. DAVIS --- BERNARD MEEHAN --- JOSEPH K. THIER / HENRY J. DEHNERT --- JAMES F. O'BRIEN --- ALVIN S. WEISS / ALAN EVANS --- VINCENT W. O'KEEFE --- BERNARD H. WIENER / ARNOLD P. FOX --- HAROLD W. ROBERTS --- GEORGE WILLIAMS / HERBERT HOFFENBERG --- GEORGE P. ROLLY --- ARTHUR ZIEGLER / BELLE HARBOR GARDEN CLUB /
This memorial is dedicated to the service of the Second Division in Belleau Wood (formerly known as Senne Wood) during WW1.
Belleau Wood is located on the high ground to the rear of Aisne-Marne American Cemetery south of the village of Belleau (Aisne), France. In the center of the road leading through the woods is a flagpole and a monument commemorating the valor of the U.S. Marines who captured this area in 1918.
It commemorates the actions of the 4th Marine Brigade of the U.S. Army’s 2nd Division. The 2nd Division attacked German positions beginning on June 6, 1918. The 4th Marine Brigade liberated Bouresches that day. Its 5th and 6th Marine Regiments fought in Belleau Wood through most of June 1918. Their gallant actions resulted in the Battle of Belleau Wood ending on June 26. On June 30, 1918, the Commanding General, French 6th Army, officially renamed Belleau Wood as “Wood of the Marine Brigade.” The 2nd Division sustained casualties of 8,100 officers and men during the intense fighting in this vicinity during June 1918.
Vestiges of trenches, shell holes, and relics of the war to include weapons found in the vicinity, may be seen near the marine monument, which was erected by the U.S. Marine Corps.
On November 11, 1926, the Bellevue Minute Women dedicated a bronze plaque and 65' wooden flagpole to the memory of the three Bellevue citizens who lost their lives in WWI. 89 years later, the memorial was restored to prominence by the "Lest We Forget" committee of VFW Post 2995 in conjunction with Jewish War Veterans Pacific NW Post 686, the Bellevue Department of Parks and Community Services, the Eastside Heritage Center, and the Bellevue City Council. Although the original flagpole no longer stands today, the restored memorial contains a metal representational remnant. It also features a new sculpture depicting a ceremonially folded American casket flag with three roses placed on top. Nearby, three elm trees in a memorial grove symbolize the three fallen sons of Bellevue. Every Memorial Day, Flag Day, Independence Day, and Veterans Day, three flags are flown to honor the servicemen's memory; there are also plans to hold commemorative ceremonies recognizing the centennial of each man's date of death. The memorial is located in the center of Bellevue's Downtown Park.
The Bellicourt American Monument is one mile north of the town of Bellicourt, west of highway D1044. Erected above a canal tunnel built by Napoleon I, it commemorates the achievements and sacrifices of the 90,000 American troops who served in battle with the British Armies in France during 1917 and 1918. Engraved on the rear facade of the memorial is a map illustrating the American operations; on the terrace is an orientation table.
The 27th and 30th Divisions came to the vicinity after fighting Belgium earlier in September 1918. The St. Quentin Canal Tunnel passes beneath Bellicourt and Bony. It was part of the Germans’ formidable Hindenburg Line, which was broken by the American troops in a brilliant offensive in September 1918. The Bellicourt Monument lies above the tunnel.
The 30th and 27th Divisions went into the line in adjoining zones of action on September 24 and 25 respectively, under tactical control of the Australian Corps. After actions in succeeding days, they participated in the main Allied offensive beginning on September 29.
Both the 27th and 30th Division engaged in heavy fighting with many casualties. Australian troops passed through the American divisions and continued the offensive. The 27th and 30th divisions were relieved from the vicinities of Bellicourt and the area west of Bony on September 30, 1918. American casualties from fighting in this region are interred at the Somme American Cemetery near Bony, a mile to the northwest.
On a bronze plaque is a relief WWI scene depleting an allegorical female figure representing America or Columbia, standing in flowing robes. One hand holds a flagstaff bearing the American flag, and the other rests on a shield. Flanking her is a kneeling WWI infantryman and sailor. Above the three is an eagle.
Beneath is a roll of honor with a list of names of men who served during the Civil War, Spanish-American War, and WWI. The plaque is mounted on a rock-faced base comprised of an upright granite block atop a shorter, wider block. On the back is a bronze plaque honoring local citizens who died during WWII and the Korean and Vietnam Wars. The monument was produced by Liberty Bronze Works and was originally dedicated on Armistice Day, 1919.
A year’s worth of work was dedicated at the Benewah County Veterans’ Memorial Saturday, Oct. 19, 2013.
The dedication ceremony started at 1 p.m. at Woodlawn Cemetery in St. Maries. Prominent in this Memorial
is a Medal of Honor Monument to the four Benewah County Service Members to receive The Congressional
Medal Of Honor.
Woodlawn is also the site of the Fire Fighters Memorial, 57 graves are arranged in a circle each is one of
the Fire Fighters lost in the Great Forest Fire of 1910. 57 of the 92 people who died in this fire rest here.
Erected in 1925, the inscription on this memorial reads:
EDMUND RUDOLF ANDERSON
KARL H. DAUBER
WALTER E. ERICKSON
JAMES JOHN POMETTA
DAVID ALLEN RICHIE
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE WORLD WAR
ERECTED IN 1925 BY THE BENICIA POST NO.101, AMERICAN LEGION, MAY 30TH, 1925.