transition01.jpg
transition03.jpg
Belvedere-Stone-View-3.jpg
Belvedere-to-Sculpture.jpg
Belvedere-Stone-View-1.jpg
Rendering-2.jpg
Rendering-3A.jpg
Rendering-4.jpg
Rendering-5.jpg
Terrace-Planters2.jpg
_P3_3855_250118-Edit_250118.jpg
_P3_3934_250118_250118.jpg
_P3_3941_250118_250118.jpg
previous arrow
next arrow

 

Base Hospital Number 36

Base Hospital 36 photos 002

Base Hospital No. 36 was organized in April, 1917, at the Detroit College of Medicine and Surgery, (Wayne State University Medical School) Detroit, Mich., and was mobilized at Detroit, August 23, 1917. The unit remained in training there for two months and sailed from New York on the Orduna, October 27, 1917, arriving in France on November 11, 1917, and at Vittel, its permanent station, on November 17. It was the first 1,000 bed hospital of the A.E.F., later forming a part of the Vittel-Contrexeville hospital center. It occupied 16 hotels and villas and had a total bed capacity of 1,650. The first patients were received December 8, 1917. During its activity, December 8, 1917, to January 14, 1919, the hospital cared for 14,114 medical and surgical cases, of which 1,376 were allied sick and wounded.



On January 14, 1919, all remaining patients were evacuated and the hospital ceased to function. The unit sailed from St. Nazaire, April 13, 1919, on the Rijndam, arriving at Newport News, Va., April 25, 1919, and was demobilized at Camp Custer, Mich., May 4, 1919.

PERSONNEL

COMMANDING OFFICER

    Lieut. Col. Hiram A. Phillips, M. C., April 19, 1917, to September 13, 1918.
    Lieut. Col. B. R. Shurly, M. C., September 14, 1918, to January 22, 1919.
    Lieut. Col. Henry G. Berry, M. C., January 23, 1919, to May 4, 1919.

 "History, Base Hospital No. 36, A. E. F.," by the commanding officer of that hospital. The history is on file in the Historical Division, S. G. O., Washington, D. C.